Wednesday, July 28, 2004

Retrospective

Pet Junkie introduced herself to me the first week I was away at college. Classes hadn't even started yet. It was Orientation Week and we were on a boat in San Diego harbor, one of the many activities the school had planned for incoming freshmen. I was sitting by myself feeling awkward and uncomfortable and generally freaked out when she came up to me and started rambling on about how college was a social experience and other such things.

I didn't want to talk. I didn't want to deal with maintaining a conversation and generally resented her for casting a spotlight on me. And now, twelve years later, just the thought of that event not taking place makes me want to cry.

1 Comments:

At 11:02 PM, Blogger Karen said...

I knew I was being pushy and obnoxious and annoying. But I never knew you resented me for it!

Good thing I am persistent, or perhaps you would have never talked to me again. And then where would I be?

While you drive me crazy at times, you are still my favorite person. Sometimes I feel like I should tell you that every day. (Not the crazy-driving part, the favorite person part). I'm better at that stuff when I'm drunk. . . but alas, no tequila for me. And certainly not on a daily basis.

Hope you enjoy a birthday of car stereo shopping and television watching. Wish I could stay here with you. Smootch the pets for me.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home