Thursday, June 10, 2004

Preach On Brother...

Mr. Godin puts into words what was for me a distinctly emotional response to the LA Times and their incredibly annoying spam activities. I registered for the NYT site long ago and I have treasured the information I've gotten on the site ever since. I respect the paper for the information they provide and, for the most part, leaving me alone.

The LAT is a different story. Confirming the purpose of my garbage email address, the newspaper has dutifully filled it with all kinds of meaningless messages that skillfully evade the junk mail filters. I no doubt fell victim to the chicanery that Seth describes.

I wonder if this "trickery" has any measurable effect on the credibility of an organization that trades upon the trust it has gained with its readers.

4 Comments:

At 8:51 AM, Blogger MJR said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 12:21 PM, Blogger MJR said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 7:01 PM, Blogger dayment said...

Totally off topic, sorry, but I'm just saying hello, and hope to meet you next week at the blogger meetup!

 
At 8:59 PM, Blogger MJR said...

As for the NYT, I've probably created two or so accounts over the years to get to some bit of info, but I'd use them so infrequently, only when clicking through from a link on someone else's site, that I never recall them, got tired of creating new accounts, and just stopped reading any linked NYT content.

There were occasions when I'd use Rebecca Blood's login info that she used to provide with content, but then I forgot that too.

Now, though, I have this in my Bookmarks: http://nytimes.blogspace.com/genlink -- Free content for the people, no registration needed.

And there was much rejoicing.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home