Thursday, February 20, 2003

Anyone paying attention has undoubtedly noticed the number of entries on this site is steadily climbing. I seem to be within what Ernie the Attorney calls the third (of three) stages of blog-awareness.

In response, Joi Ito wrote up a quiz that can help all of us determine if we are addicted to blogging. According to Joi, you are if you answer yes to three or more of the following questions:

Do you think about everything in terms of whether it will make a good blog entry?
I'm starting to. That is simply an extension of a similar question I have been asking myself for some time now: will other people find this interesting? Is Item X worth sharing? If so then this blog may be a good way to do it.

Do you keep your computer in standby mode beside your bed and wake up at 2am to blog?
My computer is usually on because I am still awake at 2am, but no matter. I would certainly consider emerging from sleep at some ungodly hour to write a blog entry, which is saying something. There are very few things that I find make getting up early worthwhile. Work barely qualifies.

Do you skip lunch and blog instead?
More of a combo. I can blog and eat at the same time. Generally, it's is a good time for me to read. There's so much good information to keep up with. Last night I was reading until 2. It's a little overwhelming.

Do you accept speaking engagements or make travel decisions based on whether they will make good blog material?
Not yet. Perhaps never. I can't say that I am really into the public, speaking, or any combination of the two.

Do you have your RSS newsreader open during meetings and keep hitting "refresh"?
This is where my inexperience becomes evident. I don't know anything about RSS or other blog features. Like Trackback. If anyone cares to explain it to me, please do. My Blogstreet Neighborhood is undeveloped.

Do you sit around trying to figure out how you can redesign your job so you can blog more?
I actually have spent more time trying to figure out how to redesign my blog so that it can help get me a job.

Do you think blogs will suddenly cause an emergent democracy and save the world?
I would say necessity is the mother of invention. We need a more democratic media, one that does not exclude voices because of unpopular opinions or insufficient funds. Dissenting voices, thoughtful and viable opinions, are out there but they just don't get the coverage in traditional channels. Blogs help minimize this and will get better at it as they become a more efficient mechanism.


Allan, the source of my links for the day, explains the allure of blogging quite nicely:

"...who isn't seduced by the thrill of discovery, learning, wanderlust and a good laugh?"

Not me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home