Monday, July 21, 2003



Take The Gloves Off
That's what the afore mentioned Mr. Lessig asked of us while talking about copyright legislation(mp3, 20mb) at OSCON back in 2002. Doc pointed me to it. He seems to know where a lot of the cool stuff is.

I loaded this up on my iPod, took a walk to the beach and listened to an intelligent voice that carefully illustrated the importance of the public domain, what is at stake with the extensions of copyright and why I should do something about it. I found it very encouraging to hear someone remind me that the law is not an unchangeable force. It's empowering.



Shocker!
On a related note, I actually agree with the "Gloved One." It is shocking to me that the recording industry, a machine that caters to the people, is being so aggressively adversarial towards them. Do they think threatening teenagers with prison time is going to get people to buy more CDs? Heal the relationship with your customers guys. In this age of digital distribution and home-based recording studios, you need them more than they need you.

And finally...
I can't type with boxing gloves on, and even if I could I wouldn't be this funny!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home