Tuesday, February 04, 2003

So I was watching CSI: Miami last night (I am a CSI/Law & Order addict) and I am forced to wonder: why are graphic images of violence more acceptable than sexual images?

I don't ask this because of some innate prurience on my part, I simply don't understand it at all.

Last night they had a GRAPHIC sequence where the police were examining a body in the lab (standard CSI gross out) but this seemed to go further than most. They sawed the hand off a dead body and PUT IT IN THE MICROWAVE to retrieve the evidence it concealed! This was not some Hitchcock-ian approach where the act is implied. There were 7 or 8 scenes where we are clearly shown the removed appendage.

Yet the second they show someone's ass on TV the "viewing public" is up in arms over it? This display of flesh is destructive. Perverted. Disgraceful.

Why one and not the other?

Are we really just a blood thirsty mob? Are we, in fact, the Romans? Do I simply want to see more boobs on TV?

Perhaps.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home